Saturday, April 18, 2015

Citrasolv/National Geographic Abstraction...


Today we ran around doing errands all morning and after a little nap I set out to experiment with Citrasolv(an organic cleaner/degreaser) and National Geographic magazines. I have to shout out to Ashley at FeathersUnleashed.blogspot.com for talking about this awesome technique and trying it out the first time around. You can find a link to her blog in my "Favorite Blogs" on the right. Hearing about the process and seeing her amazing results inspired me! It was a messy project but well worth it! I watched Mixed Media Artist Cathy Taylor's video on the process before getting started and it helped a lot, since I am a visual learner. Here is the video, if you wanna check it out too!





I set everything up in my carport and set to work. I was out there for at least two hrs and I am still shocked at the results. Each page has interest in different ways!

My little set-up 

All you need is Citrasolv, National Geographics, and a old towel. 

One soaked magazine...I completed THREE today!

Starting to see a change on some pages

Once the pages had progressed and changed I tore each page out and laid it on the table to dry.


Once the pieces were dry enough to move without dripping ink everywhere I placed them at the side of the carport and made room for new wet pieces.







These portraits truly caught my eye and I kept a close watch on their progress, because I wanted to keep the actual look of the portrait. They were too beautiful to destroy all of the features and details. Not sure what I will do with them, but they really struck a chord with me.





Here are some final abstracts...



 By this point my hands were a complete wreck and the Citrasolv is so strong that it was eating away the paint on the cheap-o tablecloth that I used to cover my table.





My last magazine took FOREVER to show any progress or change. I took the opportunity to move the process along and learn some new ways to make changes to images.

This one was slowly changing, but the colors were so interesting
 that I didn't want it to go to waste

About 15 mins later it had progressed a bit more

Instead of waiting around I decided to smudge the ink with my finger

I shut the pages back together and reopened them to THIS!

Here are a few other things that I picked up along the way...

Taking away the text with your finger or a rag makes for a much more
interesting page overall.

Another slow changing, colorful page


Smear ink with a towel/rag 

Making the image indiscernible before closing the pages helps the ink to spread
in a more abstract manner.


Here is the final stack from my three National Geographics!! Cant wait to start using them in new projects :)
Truly AMAZING technique!





No comments:

Post a Comment